What will I study?
With the surge in interactive computer games for both learning and entertainment, the need for developers has risen and the industry is experiencing a severe shortage of game programmers. You’ll begin with a foundation in programming languages, problem solving techniques, and computer ethics. Then you’ll dig into everything necessary for great game design and development. We’ll teach you the game creation process, game play theory, fundamentals in computer graphics, components of animation, and how to thrive as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
Interesting classes you might take:
- 3D Object Creation
- Advanced Computer Gaming
- OOP with C# and Games
- Computer Ethics
- Photoshop and Illustrator
The Princeton Review in a partnership with GamePro magazine has recognized Sacred Heart University's game design program as one of the best in the United States and Canada. Read more. Additionally, SHU's gaming program ranked highly by The Princeton Review’s list saluting the best graduate schools to study video game design. Read more.
What are the Student Learning Outcomes for a Game Design and Development Major?
- An ability to analyze a problem, and identify and define the computing requirements appropriate to its solution
- An ability to design, implement, and evaluate a computer based solution to meet a given set of computing requirements in the context of the discipline.
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences about technical information.
- An ability to make informed judgements in computing practice based on legal and ethical principles
- An ability to function effectively on teams to establish goals, plan tasks, meet deadlines, manage risk, and produce deliverables.
What are my career options with a degree in Game Design & Development?
Here are just a few of the careers you may pursue with this degree:
- Computer Animator
- Game Designer
- Professional Tester