5401 Park Avenue
Fairfield, CT 06825
The increasing complexity, globalization, and influence of media and technology on sport business underscore the importance of specific and dynamic preparation for sport management professionals. The Sport Management curriculum in the Jack Welch College of Business emphasizes the unique management, business and legal principles and practices necessary to succeed in contemporary sport business. It ultimately prepares professionals who are self-directed in their learning, critical thinkers and problem-solvers, interdisciplinary in their approach, and capable of effectively managing sport enterprises and marketing sport-related services and products to diverse markets.
The Sport Management curriculum provides a theoretical and skill-based framework in core business disciplines, functional business skills and in specific sport management areas. Focus is on the financial, marketing, media, legal and ethical dimensions of sport management. The program provides students with dynamic internship opportunities.
Student Learning Objectives for Sport Management program:
- Understand the principles of management and their application to the sport enterprise and describe the nature of entrepreneurship as it applies to sport business.
- Understand the development of professional sport in the U.S. and the labor-management relationship in professional sport.
- Identify the key factors contributing to the globalization of sport including international sport federations, leagues, and corporations.
- Understand the nature and complexity of sport finance, especially related to the financing of sport venues.
- Understand the nature of sport marketing and the market forces affecting marketing strategies in the sport industry.
- Understand the process of ethical decision making and its application in sport business.
- Understand the basic legal principles related to sport business and recognize their application in sport management practice.
- Identify the important dimensions of media in the sport industry, including new media, ethics, crisis management, and publications.
Sport Management degree program:
Welch College of Business to Host Spring Research Day
April 10, 2018
The Jack Welch College of Business (WCOB) will host the second Research Day of the academic year on Wednesday, April 25, in the Martire Forum at 2 p.m. The College was the first at Sacred Heart University to start this initiative back in 2016. WCOB faculty members will present their current research papers on a variety of topics in poster format. Students, join for this opportunity to learn more about the research of your teachers. Research assistant sign-up forms will be available at the event.
SHU Recognized by Colleges of Distinction for Academic Excellence
June 14, 2017
Sacred Heart University has yet again been recognized by the higher education organization Colleges of Distinction for its academic excellence. Colleges of Distinction’s mission is to help parents and students find the right colleges by producing a guidebook with the necessary information on the finest colleges and universities. The organization most recently awarded SHU with badges for its first-rate business, education and nursing programs.
Welch College of Business Makes Princeton Review's Best Business Schools List for 2017
October 7, 2016
FAIRFIELD, Conn. - The Princeton Review has ranked Sacred Heart University's Jack Welch College of Business an outstanding business school once again. The education services company profiles SHU in the new 2017 edition of its annual book, The Best 294 Business Schools.The Princeton Review's survey asked students at the 294 business schools about their school's academics, student body and campus life as well as about themselves and their career plans.