Learn to Deliver Compassionate, Life-Changing Care
Develop the skills and knowledge you need to provide the highest quality care to patients in a variety of clinical settings. Learn to heal the mind, body and spirit. Connect to your work through a place of compassion, empathy and altruism.
Earn your Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
The B.S. in Nursing prepares students to become competent, ethical and caring practitioners in any type of health care setting.
Through this program, you will:
- Gain a liberal education for Baccalaureate Generalist nursing practice, with knowledge from biological, behavioral, social and nursing sciences
- Evaluate and provide safe, high-quality health care
- Learn to make clinical judgments based on knowledge and evidence, and developed through the process of clinical reasoning
- Participate in quality and patient safety initiatives that impact patient care
- Use computer information management systems and patient care technology to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of patient care
- Understand health care policy, finance and regulatory environments
- Improve collaboration and communication skills and understand how these skills improve patient outcomes
- Study clinical prevention and population health
- Learn to provide effective, patient-centric care by fostering open communication, mutual respect and shared decision-making
- Support health promotion, and disease and injury prevention activities, to improve individual and population health
- Embrace the core values of professionalism that support optimal health and wellness outcomes
For detailed information about the program, including policies and procedures, download our Nursing Student Guide.
Prepare for the future you want.
Upon graduation, students with a BSN are eligible to take the Registered Nurse licensure examination (NCLEX), as well as apply to any Master of Science in Nursing program, including those here at Sacred Heart.
Graduates who don’t pursue further education can explore careers in a variety of settings, including:
- Home care agencies
- Community-based health care facilities
Experience the global nursing community.
International opportunities prepare students to be culturally competent, gain a global understanding of nursing and health, and to be responsive to social and civic obligations.
Inter-professional clinical field experiences
- Juniors and seniors have the opportunity to travel to Kingston, Jamaica or Antigua, Guatemala, where they can complete required clinical hours by providing hands-on nursing care as part of a team led by nursing faculty.
Study abroad opportunities at Sacred Heart’s Dingle, Ireland campus:
- Nursing Leadership course: This two-week immersion course offers clinical hours in the Irish healthcare system and counts as one of the required nursing courses.
- Sophomore Spring Abroad semester: This semester offers students the chance to take Nursing Health Assessment and Nursing Pathophysiology, along with other required courses, in a seamless plan of study. Students complete clinical hours in a nearby hospital and participate in weekend excursions, including a trip to London to visit the Florence Nightingale Nursing Museum.
Qualified applicants are admitted to the University as pre-nursing students and are guaranteed a seat as a sophomore nursing student if they meet or exceed freshman prerequisite coursework and GPA requirements.
Additional Program Benefits
- The baccalaureate degree program in nursing, the master’s degree program in nursing, and the Doctor of Nursing Practice program at Sacred Heart University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, 202-887-6791, (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).
- Research opportunities are available
- Students gain clinical experience in a variety of settings, including clinicals at extended care facilities, acute-care hospitals, day care centers, visiting nurses associations and local community clinics
- Personal attention and interaction between faculty and students is a main focus
- Faculty includes active professionals who have received state and national recognition and who hold doctoral degrees or are certified nurse practitioners
- Students have access to five state-of-the-art nursing labs and high-fidelity simulation labs
- From the start of the program, students have access to online testing platforms that prepare them for the R.N. licensure examination